That first few seconds of a telephone conversation with a potential customer are extremely important, the customer will form an opinion about what kind of person you are, how professional they feel your company is and if they would want you in their home. This is your time to shine.
Courtesy and manners cost nothing but surprisingly many companies still answer their phones with a one word greeting and continue into a conversation in the same manner as they would with their mate, Dave down the pub...leaving many potential customers wonder if they've mis-dialed.
Another gloomy point to consider, customers that cannot reach you, will go elsewhere....it's as simple as that!
Here are a few tips to ensure you're not putting customers off by your telephone manner:
- Identify yourself - Either simply say Hello, or state your name, Hello, Joe Bloggs here. Do not answer by using words such as “yeah” or “yes.”
- Greetings - Just like a face to face conversation, the other party in the telephonic conversation expects you to open the conversation with a nice greeting
- Create a professional voicemail - Set up a voicemail, so if you're out on a job, you won't miss out on a potential customer.
- Smile through the phone - Keep a 'smile in your voice.' Sound upbeat and enthusiastic about the chance to speak with the caller
- Be sensitive to the tone of your voice. Do not sound overly anxious, aggressive or pushy
We hope these tips help!
Share this page: